Toasted English Muffins are a perfect part of a hearty, full breakfast! If you love splitting one of these open every morning, you should definitely consider skipping the store-bought and making your own at home instead. With this easy, reliable recipe, you can enjoy the highest quality, freshest English muffins money can buy whenever you want!
1 cup milk
2 tbsps white sugar
1/4 oz active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup shortening (melted)
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the milk in a small saucepan until it becomes bubbly, then remove it from heat. Pour the sugar into the milk and stir until it’s dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, melted shortening, and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
- Punch the dough down. Drop it onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into circles with whatever’s handy – an empty can or glass work fine. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let it rise for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle for about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Once they’re cooled, they’re ready to enjoy or be placed in plastic bags for storage!